Link to the demonstrator: in English
Age: > 12
Duration: 2 hours
Equipment: PC with internet connection and basic lab equipment
Author: Dr. Matteo Barsuglia (PCCP)
This demonstrator introduces the concept of the pendulum and the key concepts necessary to examine the properties of a pendulum. The demonstrator is inquiry based and supports students to develop controlled investigations on the different variables that affect the period of a pendulum. They will be looking at dependent and independent variables, and record data that they will display and analyse.
This demonstrator was designed as an introductory exercise for the gravitational-wave package of demonstrators and it introduces the idea of a pendulum as a seismological filter for gravitational-wave detectors.
- To introduce students to the concept of a pendulum.
- To investigate the relationships between the variables that affect the period of a pendulum
- To graph and analyse data and form conclusions about how a pendulum operates.
- Types of variables
- Gravitational wave detector
By the end of this descriptor, students should be able to:
- Define the following: pendulum, cycle/oscillation, frequency, period, variable
- List examples of everyday pendulums
- Develop a method for an investigation
- Identify the types of variables
- Graph the results of an investigation
- Form conclusions based on the results collected
- Pasta activity or alternative?
- Design a basic pendulum
- Plan and carryout investigation and collection of data
- Graph results
- Final Report